Thursday, June 4, 2009

Outside Internships

Recently, I got myself into a predicament. I am trying to network and get to know several companies relating to PR opportunities and other media-focused businesses. I would love to get out of this small area outside of Pittsburgh and internship at one of the major cities. I know this is not the easiest approach to finding an internship, but I really do not want to settle.

I know New York City offers summer housing if you get an internship early enough. As a result, I've been trying to network early and find opportunities for next summer as soon as I can. Through my research, I found a company called Planned Television Arts. The company announced that it was already interviewing interns for Summer 2010. "Great!" I thought. "Exactly what I am looking for." I e-mailed the company and got a pretty rapid response back. The woman suggested I e-mail a resume, and after, we could set up an in-person or over-the-phone interview.

After I got my final grades for the semester, I sent in my resume and just received a response. The woman assumed I would be available to do an in-person interview and has set me up with a date & time. Obviously, I am going to explain that I was hoping for an over-the-phone interview and try to get this rescheduled, but I'm concerned about this.

If I want an internship outside this area, is it expected that I travel to the city for every interview? Are there opportunities where I can apply for internships and not be expected to interview in person? I'm willing to find housing for summer 2010 and live in the area at that point, but I can't exactly go to NYC every time a possible internship arises. I live 6.5 hours away. How do I chase after these internships outside of my area without being unrealistic?

No comments:

Post a Comment